Friday, December 10, 2010

So You Want to Train MMA?

You've seen a few MMA events or even been watching for a long time and have decided that you would like to try that out. Well I've been there and I had a hard time figuring out exactly what I needed and didn't need and more importantly where was the best place to get it, keeping in mind I didn't have much cash. So I set off in my quest to find the best gear for a bargain and this is what I landed on.

The MOST important item in an amature mixed martial artists bag is his MOUTHGUARD that is if you'd like to keep your teeth! There are many different types of mouth guards available from professionally fitted to boil and bite. In my experience the boil and bite just does not cut it and getting a mouth guard fitted can be quite costly so I settled for the best of both which was:

Shock Doctor Adult Gel Max Strapless Mouthguard
Price: $8.99 - $14.50

Another important item in your bag should be TRAINING gloves. A lot of people get this one wrong (Including me!!) and buy the 4 ounce gloves which are the official gloves for a fight but you need gloves to train with first! I wanted a good durable glove that would last me for a few years. I settled on Everlast gloves:

Everlast Train Advanced MMA 7-Ounce Striking / Training Gloves
Price: $17.50 - $39.99

The next item on my list was the head guard and I went again with the Everlast brand. The head guard has a flexible design and can pretty much fit all sized head unless your head is exceptionally bag. You can't see from the picture but it has an ear guard as well which is always a plus. I can honestly say that this head guard makes getting punched and kicked in the head fun!

Everlast Mixed Martial Arts Full Head Guard
Price: $37.50

You will be glad to read that there is only one more item of necessity on the list that should have you on your way to training in no time and this is the shin guard. These are very flexible shin guards around the ankle which does not restrict your moment at all which you can't say for most shin guards.

Throwdown Hybrid Shin Guards
Price: $33.50

So there you have it! All you need to get your MMA career started for the grand total of: 97.49 which you would agree is a modest sum.

There is only one more item I would recommend that is not a necessity but will really help out in the long run and that is a rash guard. The reason for this is that the rash guard will help prevent you from getting things like staph infection. When you're rolling with people there is always a change of getting scratched or cut and this will prevent that.

Body Glove 540 8-Ounce Long Sleeve Lycra Rash Guard
$29.99 - $34.49


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment